Vegetarian Black Bean Wrap
At Community Kitchen, we love finding ways to be budget friendly in creating healthy meals. Sometimes budget friendly, makes us think we can’t eat healthy. Joy, our volunteer at Community Kitchen teaches us every Wednesday different nutritious meals.
This recipe makes 4-6 large wraps
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained well, save the liquid
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 small onion diced big
- 2 stalks escallion chopped
- 2 pegs garlic minced
- 1 tsp. Sea salt
- 1 tsp. Cumin (optional)
- 1 tsp. Diced country pepper
- 2 tbs. Chopped parsley
Process all ingredients in food processor to a smooth consistency. Add some of the liquid from the beans if it is too dry.
- Blend: ½ an onion, 2 stalks celery, 1-2 tsp. Mustard powder, 1 tsp. Oregano and same of rosemary, 2-3 tbs. of honey
- 2tbs. Lemon juice, ½ tsp sea salt, 1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar, small amount of water if needed. Blend to a thick smooth consistency. Taste and correct seasonings.
- 1 avocado cut into slices.
- 2-3 carrots cut into strips or sticks
- 1 cucumber cut into sticks
- 1 head of lettuce washed and dried do not cut. The leaves should be whole
- 1 plantain cut into strips or sticks
- ½ each of red and green sweet pepper cut into strips
- ½ purple onion cut into strips
TO ASSEMBLE WRAP
- Put wrap on a clean surface. Spread 2-3 table spoons of bean on the wrap
- Cover this with dry lettuce leaf, flatten the thick vein in lettuce.
- Put filling of choice on top of lettuce leaf, close to edge of wrap.
- Put some dressing on this.
- Roll the wrap or fold over to cover the filling. Fold in the bottom of the wrap and leave one end open or cover the whole wrap then cut in two crossways to show the filling.
Sometimes when we cook or prep we will have extra vegetables or ingredients.
So why not, put all the leftover vegetables to make a drink?
We placed celery, left over peppers and avocado.